Are contact lenses right for you?
These days there are very few people who are unsuitable for contact lenses. At Broadhurst Optometrists, we now offer free contact lens trials following an eye examination, where we can recommend the best option for you. Many people have never considered contact lenses, or have previously been told that they aren’t suitable to wear lenses. The advancements in modern technology, materials and design mean that you are now more likely than ever to be suitable to give lenses a try.
At Broadhurst Optometrists, we believe that age need not be a barrier to successful contact lens wear. For this reason, we fit contact lenses for people of all ages. Ask our optometrist for more information.
What are the advantages and benefits of contact lenses?
- Clear, unobstructed vision
- Often superior vision to glasses
- No steaming up
- Ideal for sport
- Can be worn occasionally or full-time
- Daily disposables require no cleaning
- Available in multifocals
- An alternative to reading glasses, read the menu for meals out
- An alternative look to glasses
- Available in colours and tints to enhance or change eye colour
- Available through a direct debit payment scheme to spread the costs
Why Broadhurst Optometrists?
- We have extensive experience fitting contact lenses, including complex cases referred to us through local hospitals.
- As an independent, we can supply lenses from any manufacturer, therefore providing you with the best specific lenses for your needs.
- We supply both conventional and specialist contact lenses.
- We are an Acuvue Contact Lens Centre of Excellence practice, awarded in recognition of our commitment to providing professional eye care.
- We regularly attend seminars run by CIBA Vision Academy for Eyecare Excellence, to ensure that we can offer the latest technology.
- We offer the Plan2BFree direct debit plan, a great value way to spread the cost of all of your eye care, contact lens and solution needs.
Which types of lenses are available?
Soft contact lenses
- One-Day lenses- these offer convenience along with great vision. No cleaning or storing solutions necessary, wear once and simply throw away. Available in single vision spherical, toric (for the correction of astigmatism) and multifocals.
- 2-weekly lenses- can be worn on a daily basis, most days or even every day of the week. These are removed and cleaned each day. The lenses are thrown away after 2 weeks or 1 month, depending on your needs. Many different types are available, suitable for most single vision, toric and multifocal prescriptions.
- Silicone Hydrogel materials-these allow more oxygen to your eyes to aid comfort. The surface resists deposits to keep your eyes healthy. Some types can be worn overnight for a week or even a month; most are designed for wear on a daily basis for people with dry eyes or demanding environmental conditions.
- Coloured lenses-these change or enhance the colour of your eyes and are available with or without prescription. They are available as a 1 day throw-away, or a monthly disposable lens. Monthly Crazy lenses are also available for the adventurous.
Gas Permeable lenses
A rigid contact lens may be ideal for your prescription. Although these lenses are not initially as comfortable as soft lenses, they are more durable and can last for 1-2years.
Varifocal Contact lenses
Lenses for presbyopia. Whether you require both distance and reading, or simply a reading prescription, you can now benefit from contact lens wear. Many people over the age of 40 successfully wear contact lenses to satisfy their visual needs. These lenses can be worn on a full-time basis, or alternatively, for occasional wear. Ideal for reading menus and evenings out.